As required by the Code of Virginia §27-97, the State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) issues permits for the storage, use, and sale of explosives on State property and in areas with no local enforcement. This includes investigation of complaints.
Permits are renewed annually at a fee of $250 for all explosive USE permits and $150 for explosive STORAGE. Written verification that the applicant is bonded is required to properly obtain a USE permit. Explosives and detonators are required to be in separate permitted magazines.
In those localities where the State Fire Marshal’s Office has enforcement authority, a separate application to use explosives is required for each city or county in which the applicant plans or intends to USE explosives. If an applicant operates in multiple jurisdictions, multiple applications and permits are required. An application fee of $250 is required for each separate USE permit. Photocopies of applications are acceptable.
In a locality with a Fire Official, permits for manufacturing, storage, handling and use of explosives on non-State property must be obtained from the local fire official.
You may download permit applications from this site or call the State Fire Marshal’s Office at (804) 371-0220 for applications or questions regarding the explosive permit process.
For more information on explosives permits, firework displays, blaster certification and/or background clearance cards, contact:
- State Fire Marshal, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 804-371-0220
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
- International Society of Explosive Engineers
- ISEE’s “World of Explosives”
- Free viewing of the complete set of Virginia Building and Fire Codes
- What to expect after blast damage has occurred
- Blasting complaint procedures for property owners
- What to do if your home is damaged by blasting
- PPV vs. Richter Scale
- Blaster Certification Exam, Candidate Information Bulletin
- To verify the status of a Certified Blaster or Pyrotechnician, please contact John Cullinane, RCIP-LSC Program Coordinator at (804) 612-7270 or the SFMO at (804) 371-0220.
- SFPC for Explosives and Fireworks
- State Fire Marshal’s Office Explosives Use Notification
- Application for Emergency or Special Operations permit to USE explosives
- Application for permit to MANUFACTURE explosives
- Application for permit to SELL explosives
- Application for permit to STORE explosives SFPC15
- Application for permit to USE explosives SFPC15
- Application for Replacement Certification or BCC Card
- Explosives Update Bulletin – November 2018