- The SFMO is authorized to collect annual permit fees for inspections of several occupancy classifications in areas with no local fire marshal (official) enforcement. The fees are listed in section 107.14 of the Statewide Fire Prevention Code (SFPC).
- Permits are renewed annually.
- This occupancy permit program is not issued in lieu of a Certificate of Occupancy issued by the local building official for a business or similar entity. It is an inspection permit program designed to allow the State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) to recoup portions of the costs for conducting inspections of buildings we are required to inspect.
- Permits issued by the State Fire Marshal’s Office are not applicable in localities enforcing the SFPC. If a locality has a fire official, the permit must be obtained from the local official if required by the locality. A list of local officials is available on the ‘State Fire Marshal’s Office Programs’ page under Publications.”
- SFPC 107.16 Payment of fees. A permit shall not be issued until the designated fees have been paid.
Night Clubs are defined as: Any building or portion thereof in which the main use is a place of public assembly that provides exhibition, performance or other forms of entertainment; serves alcoholic beverages; and provides music and space for dancing.
- $350 for an occupant load of 100 or less.
- $450 for an occupant load of 101 to 200.
- $500 for an occupant load of 201 to 300.
- $500 plus $50 for each 50 occupants where occupant loads exceed 300.
Private Colleges Dorms and Private University Dorms, with or without assembly areas. If containing assembly areas, such assembly areas are not included in the computation of square footage.
- $150 for up to 3500 square feet.
- $200 for greater than 3500 square feet up to 7000 square feet.
- $250 for greater than 7000 square feet up to 10,000 square feet.
- $250 plus $50 for each additional 3000 square feet where square footage exceeds 10,000.
- $300 for 1 to 50 beds.
- $400 for 51 to 100 beds.
- $500 for 101 to 150 beds.
- $600 for 151 to 200 beds.
- $600 plus $100 for each additional 100 beds where the number of beds exceeds 200.
Facilities licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services based on licensed capacity as follows:
- $50 for 1 to 8.
- $75 for 9 to 20.
- $100 for 21 to 50.
- $200 for 51 to 100.
- $300 for 101 to 150.
- $400 for 151 to 200.
- $500 for 201 or more.
Exception: Annual inspection permits for any building or groups of buildings on the same site may not exceed $2500.
For more information on the Occupancy Permits, contact:
State Fire Marshal, firstname.lastname@example.org
John Cullinane, email@example.com