Fire and Life Safety Education
The Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) works to communicate fire and emergency services information to the general population, members of the fire and emergency services community, the media and local governments in a timely, accurate and consistent manner. Keeping the public informed is a critical component of fire prevention. Through news releases, public service announcements and radio and television interviews, the Office ensures that the latest information is released to the appropriate target audience.
SFMO assists fire prevention efforts by:
- Conducting research to identify statewide fire safety education needs utilizing the Virginia Fire Incident Reporting System (VFIRS).
- Coordinating existing statewide fire and injury prevention efforts.
- Developing goals, programs, and partnerships to increase statewide fire and injury prevention efforts.
- Serving as liaison between federal, state, and local agencies and organizations involved in fire and life safety.
- Developing public education materials in several forms and by making the materials available for statewide use.
- Fire is Everyone’s Fight™ is designed to unite the fire service and many others in a collaborative effort to reduce home fire injuries, deaths and property loss. It invites fire departments, safety advocates, community groups, schools and others to rally behind a common and compelling theme. United States Fire Administration and its partners will communicate and reinforce key lessons across many proven fire safety and prevention initiatives and programs.
- Vision 20/20 – With funding from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Assistance to Fire Fighters Fire Prevention and Safety Grant program, the Institution of Fire Engineers US Branch has established a Vision 20/20 Steering Committee comprised of noted fire service and related agency leaders to guide a national strategic planning process for the fire loss prevention that results in a national plan that will coordinate activities and fire prevention efforts.
- Virginia Fire and Life Safety Coalition – a group of educators from across the Commonwealth dedicated to fire and life safety.
The United States Fire Administration (USFA) an entity of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), provides leadership, coordination and support for the nation’s fire prevention and control, fire training and education, and the emergency medical services activities.
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) offers many fire and life safety education programs. NFPA is the official sponsor of Fire Prevention Week.