The VDFP Communications, Public Affairs and Public Outreach Office is responsible for effectively communicating fire and emergency services information to the general population, members of the fire and emergency services community, the media and local governments in a timely, accurate and consistent manner.
Keeping the public informed is a critical component of fire prevention. Through news releases, public service announcements and radio and television interviews, the Public Affairs Office ensures that the latest information is released to the appropriate target audience.
If you are a media representative in need of information, please email email@example.com.
The Virginia Department of Fire Programs (VDFP) provides technical assistance to local fire departments, health educators, medical and public health professionals, classroom teachers, elder service providers, community and service organizations, parents, caregivers, and anyone else interested in collaborating on fire and life safety education.
VDFP assists fire prevention efforts by:
- Conducting research to identify statewide fire safety education needs utilizing the Virginia Fire Incident Reporting System (VFIRS).
- Coordinating existing statewide fire and injury prevention efforts.
- Developing goals, programs, and partnerships to increase statewide fire and injury prevention efforts.
- Serving as liaison between federal, state, and local agencies and organizations involved in fire and life safety.
- Developing public education materials in several forms and by making the materials available for statewide use.