The coronavirus (COVID-19) is a declared pandemic that is evolving throughout the U.S. and abroad at a rapid pace. As with many localities and government agencies in the Commonwealth, the Virginia Department of Fire Programs is remaining flexible and working proactively to announce changes to agency training programs and operations as they occur.
Visit this page for real-time updates on VDFP-specific actions and decisions.
- Vaccinate Virginia
- Virginia.gov COVID page
- Discounts for first responders (USA Today) — *VDFP does not endorse the companies listed.
- First Responder Naloxone Program
July 20, 2020
- The State Fire Marshal’s Office issues pandemic/emergency evacuation guidance for Virginia Pre K-12 schools, colleges, and universities.
July 18, 2020
- The Virginia Department of Fire Programs (VDFP) resumed in-person training courses that were cancelled at the onset of COVID-19 in mid-March. VDFP will not be accepting new course requests until January 1, 2021. Read more on the new Pandemic Operations Policy.
June 16, 2020
- The Fire Life Safety Educator – Level I course in Fauquier County, scheduled from July 13-16, 2020 is cancelled.
April 13, 2020
- The 2020 Virginia Fallen Firefighters & EMS Memorial Service scheduled on June 6, 2020 is cancelled. The Memorial Service will resume in 2021, where 2020 Honorees will be recognized.
- Due to the impacts of COVID-19, the FY21 VDFP Conference and Education Grant Award open application period will be announced at a later date. Eligibility of FY20 grant recipients for the FY21 Conference and Education Grant will not be impacted by the delay of training programs that have yet to be completed, or training programs that are scheduled for later in the calendar year. After Action Reports are due 30 days after training programs are completed. We thank you in advance for your patience. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Theresa Hunter, VDFP Grants & Budget Manager.
April 1, 2020
- March 30, 2020: The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has updated the List of Potentially Life-Threatening Infectious Diseases to which Emergency Response Employees May be Exposed to include the addition of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2, and the definition of “emergency response employee (ERE).” The list and accompanying guidelines, originally published in a 2011 Federal Register notice, are republished in this document with these updates. Click here to view the full PDF.
March 25, 2020
- March 25-June 30, 2020: Effective immediately, all VDFP Funded and Reimbursable Courses that are currently in progress or beginning, up to and including June 30, 2020 are cancelled. In addition, at this time VDFP will not be accepting any new course requests. VDFP is working on a recovery plan for training programs to resume after the COVID-19 crisis is over.
- The Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office has postponed indefinitely new fireworks testing for 2020. Refer to the 2019 Approved Permissible Fireworks List as a resource.
March 21, 2020
- Effective March 23, 2020: VDFP will cease providing funded staff for testing and to support live burns.
March 20, 2020
- April 20-27, 2020: Driver Aerial Operator (NFPA 1002-14) course being held by the Williamsburg FD is postponed.
- Offices in Divisions 3, 5, and 6 are closed until further notice. You can conduct VDFP business with Divisions 3, 5, and 6 by contacting those divisions directly by email or phone.
- We are also taking measures to practice social distancing and adhere to Governor Northam’s mandate that bans gatherings of 10 or more people in a location. In-person and walk-up visitors at all VDFP offices are discouraged. Conduct VDFP business by email or phone.
March 19, 2020
- April 6-10, 2020: Virginia Fire Marshal Academy Environmental Crimes course is cancelled.
March 17, 2020
- April 17-26, 2020: Rockingham Regional Fire School is postponed.
- May 4-7, 2020: Rescue Challenge 2020 is postponed. There will be a conference call held on Monday, April 6 between TRAVA, VDFP, and Regional Hosting Agencies to determine a reschedule and/or cancellation options. Please do not contact them until information is forwarded to you from the April 6th conference call. Review the details.
March 16, 2020
- March 16-April 3, 2020: Effective immediately, all VDFP Funded and Reimbursable Courses that are currently in progress or beginning, up to and including April 3, 2020 are cancelled or postponed. In addition, at this time VDFP will not be accepting any new course requests. Further guidance will be provided by April 1, 2020.
March 13, 2020
- Albemarle County Regional School scheduled on March 21-22, 2020 has been cancelled.
- The 1031 Fire Inspector course scheduled on Monday, March 16, 2020, has been cancelled due to the local state of emergency declared by the City of Portsmouth. Please be advised that there are other 1031 Fire Inspector course offerings available this year and we welcome you to register for those classes. Please indicate during registration that your class was cancelled due to this state of emergency and you will be given preference in registering.
- The joint Fire Services Board Meeting and DHCD meeting scheduled for Monday, March 16 has been cancelled.
- The Virginia Fallen Firefighters & EMS Memorial Service Committee meeting scheduled on Tuesday, March 17 will occur as scheduled. Members will be advised of the meeting process.
- The Virginia Fire Services Board Live Structures meeting scheduled on Friday, March 20 will be postponed until further notice. However, the Code Subcommittee meeting will occur as scheduled and members will be advised of the process.