In Memoriam: Lieutenant Charles W. Davis, Jr.
Retired Alexandria Fire Department Lieutenant Charles W. Davis, Jr. of Alexandria, Virginia passed away on September 17, 2018 from pancreatic cancer. He served with the City of Alexandria Fire Department for 30 years and retired in 2011, and was also a member of the IAFF 4th District Local 2141.
2018 Governor’s Fire Service Awards Nominations Now Open
September 19, 2018
The Virginia Department of Fire Programs, a leader in enhancing public safety, in conjunction with the Virginia Fire Services Board, are seeking nominations for the 2018 Governor’s Fire Service Awards, which honors and recognizes excellence in Fire Services in the Commonwealth.
The annual Governor’s Fire Service Awards is presented in eight categories during the Virginia Fire Chiefs Association Expo and Symposium held in February at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.
Nominations can be submitted through an online form on the VDFP website through December 10, 2018.
About the Governor’s Fire Service Awards
The Governor’s Fire Service Awards were established in 2002. In partnership with the Virginia Fire Services Board, the VDFP facilitates the awards. The Virginia Secretary of Public Safety and Homeland Security presents the Governor with award recommendations, at which the final recipients are then selected. Award categories:
- Governor’s Award for Excellence in Virginia Fire Service
- Governor’s Award for Excellence in Virginia Community Risk Reduction
- Governor’s Award for Excellence in Virginia’s Fire Service Training
- Governor’s Award for Outstanding Fire Department Response
- Governor’s Award for Private Sector Excellence in Virginia Fire Service Support
- Governor’s Civilian Excellence in Virginia Fire Service Support
- Governor’s Virginia Firefighter of the Year
- Governor’s Virginia Fire Chief of the Year
Among the 2017 recipients were the Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department, and the Charlottesville Fire Department, who were recognized for Excellence in Community Risk Reduction and Outstanding Fire Department Response, respectively. Read more about the additional 2017 recipients.
About the Virginia Department of Fire Programs
The Virginia Department of Fire Programs provides training, support services, and resources to more than 700 fire and emergency service organizations, and approximately 44,000 fire service personnel in the Commonwealth. Support areas include funding, professional development, research, operational support, technical assistance, and fire prevention inspections through its State Fire Marshal Office.
In Memoriam: Captain Anthony R. Whetzel
Retired Rockingham County Fire and Rescue Captain Anthony R. Whetzel of Broadway, Virginia passed away on September 15, 2018 from cancer.
Read the obituary in the Daily News-Record.
VDFP Hurricane Florence Preparations
Published 11:05 a.m., Friday, September 14
Governor Northam lifts the mandatory evacuation order for Coastal Virginia, effective 11 a.m. The VDFP Division 5 office remains closed through Sunday.
- VDFP is open for business on Friday, September 14. Division 5 – Hampton remains closed.
Published 4 p.m., Thursday, September 13
- The VFMA Basic Law Enforcement Academy is canceled Thursday and Friday.
- Four (4) state-managed shelters are now open at Christopher Newport University in Newport News, the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, and Virginia State University in Ettrick/Petersburg.
- VDFP is open for business on Friday, September 14. Division 5 – Hampton is closed.
Published 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, September 11
Updates per VDFP Senior Leadership. **Remember that safety is paramount. Stay aware and be prepared.**
- All VDFP courses on Thursday-Sunday are canceled; rescheduling will occur next week.
- VDEM has canceled all of its courses through the end of September.
- Six (6) VDFP personnel will staff the Emergency Operations Center in Chesterfield, starting Wednesday, as part of the statewide preparation and response effort.
- The State Fire Marshal’s Office has completed inspections of state shelters in Virginia.
- All of VDFP trailers and resources will be staged at the Public Safety Training Center.
- VDFP will follow closing protocol that is declared by the Governor’s Office.
- Check the DHRM website, DHRM Facebook and Twitter, and local media for closing information. Subsequently, we will share that information on the VDFP website and VDFP social platforms.
- Division 5 – Hampton is in the mandatory evacuation zone and is currently closed for customers; will close at noon on Wednesday for VDFP staff.
- The Virginia Hazmat Conference is cancelled as of Monday evening, September 10.
- Sound the Alarm on September 17 is cancelled.
Published 10:50 a.m., Tuesday, September 11
VDFP Senior Leadership will meet at 1 p.m. today to discuss the action plan for the agency and training in preparation of Hurricane Florence. Further information for VDFP instructors and students will be provided here on the VDFP website, the VDFP Facebook and Twitter social media platforms, and via the VDFP email list.