VDFP Hurricane Florence Preparations
Published 11:05 a.m., Friday, September 14
Governor Northam lifts the mandatory evacuation order for Coastal Virginia, effective 11 a.m. The VDFP Division 5 office remains closed through Sunday.
- VDFP is open for business on Friday, September 14. Division 5 – Hampton remains closed.
Published 4 p.m., Thursday, September 13
- The VFMA Basic Law Enforcement Academy is canceled Thursday and Friday.
- Four (4) state-managed shelters are now open at Christopher Newport University in Newport News, the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, and Virginia State University in Ettrick/Petersburg.
- VDFP is open for business on Friday, September 14. Division 5 – Hampton is closed.
Published 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, September 11
Updates per VDFP Senior Leadership. **Remember that safety is paramount. Stay aware and be prepared.**
- All VDFP courses on Thursday-Sunday are canceled; rescheduling will occur next week.
- VDEM has canceled all of its courses through the end of September.
- Six (6) VDFP personnel will staff the Emergency Operations Center in Chesterfield, starting Wednesday, as part of the statewide preparation and response effort.
- The State Fire Marshal’s Office has completed inspections of state shelters in Virginia.
- All of VDFP trailers and resources will be staged at the Public Safety Training Center.
- VDFP will follow closing protocol that is declared by the Governor’s Office.
- Check the DHRM website, DHRM Facebook and Twitter, and local media for closing information. Subsequently, we will share that information on the VDFP website and VDFP social platforms.
- Division 5 – Hampton is in the mandatory evacuation zone and is currently closed for customers; will close at noon on Wednesday for VDFP staff.
- The Virginia Hazmat Conference is cancelled as of Monday evening, September 10.
- Sound the Alarm on September 17 is cancelled.
Published 10:50 a.m., Tuesday, September 11
VDFP Senior Leadership will meet at 1 p.m. today to discuss the action plan for the agency and training in preparation of Hurricane Florence. Further information for VDFP instructors and students will be provided here on the VDFP website, the VDFP Facebook and Twitter social media platforms, and via the VDFP email list.