The 2023 Virginia Fallen Firefighters & EMS Memorial Service
Watch the Live Stream Below!
The 26th annual Virginia Fallen Firefighters & Emergency Medical Services Memorial Service will be held at 12 p.m. on Saturday, June 3, 2023 at the Richmond International Raceway Complex, Main Exhibition Hall. This event is open to the public.
The Virginia Fallen Firefighters & EMS Memorial Service will be streamed live for those who cannot attend in person.
This year's Memorial Service will honor fallen firefighters who have been recognized under the Virginia Line of Duty Act in 2022 for their bravery and dedication to the citizens of the Commonwealth.
- Gary C. Campbell - Spotsylvania County Fire, Rescue and Emergency Management
- TyVaughn Eldridge - Chesterfield Fire and EMS
- Christopher G. Griffin - City of Norfolk Fire Rescue
- Robert W. Nelms - Fries Fire & Rescue
- Jeffrey T. Rizzo - Loudoun County Fire Rescue
- Kimberly A. Schoppa - Fairfax County Fire and Rescue
- James A. Sturgill - Pound Volunteer Fire Department
- Gregory V. Thomas - City of Danville Fire Department
- Michael W. Webb - Callaway Volunteer Fire Department
- Herbert T. Wilcox - Rocky Mount Fire Department
Individuals or departments interested in Honor Guard participation should contact Toby Martin at Tmartin@roanokecountyva.gov.
If your department is interested in sending apparatus to the Memorial Service, please contact Memorial Service Committee Member Floyd Greene at email@example.com.
Main Point of Contact:
For more information on the Virginia Fallen Firefighters & EMS Memorial Service, contact VDFP PIO Will Merritt at (804) 249-1986 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the 2023 Memorial Service
The Memorial Service will include a keynote address, a Virginia Fire Services Honor Guard procession, a musical performance, and a fire and EMS apparatus display from departments throughout the Commonwealth. State flags will be presented to the families of the fallen.
History of the Memorial Service
- The Virginia Fire Services Board established the Memorial Service and enlisted the services of a Memorial Service Committee to plan the annual event. The committee is comprised of representatives from fire departments, family representatives of fallen firefighters previously honored, the Office of Emergency Medical Services and the Virginia Department of Fire Programs. Honor Guard from across the Commonwealth participate each year, as well as fire departments from across Virginia who display apparatus for the Memorial Service.
- A reception immediately following the Memorial Service is open to the families, distinguished guests, and the public.
Virginia Fallen Firefighter and EMS Facts
- For more than 20 years, on the first Saturday in June, firefighters and EMS personnel who have died in the line of duty or have been recognized by the Virginia Line of Duty Act in the previous year, are honored at the Virginia Fire and EMS Memorial Service.
- With the completion and dedication of the Virginia Public Safety Memorial, names of firefighters who are honored may also be added to the wall of the memorial annually.
For more information about the Virginia Fallen Firefighters & EMS Memorial Service, contact VDFP PIO Will Merritt at (804) 249-1986 or email@example.com.